| I got these beautiful veggies at the farmer's market close to my house. |
Simple ingredients needed to make salsa. You will need:
tomatoes, any type
jalapeno peppers
onions, yellow or white
salt and pepper a little cooking oil
I used the proportions above: 1 onion, 6 jalapenos, and about 10 roma tomatoes and a handful of grape tomatoes (I used the grape tomatoes just because I had them handy. You don't have too. Just use whatever tomatoes you have handy.)
I love tomatoes, all types. love them. I happened to have 3 types of tomatoes handy the day I decided to make salsa, but I used these below: the roma and some grape ones. The other type, the big fat firm ones, I also had, but I decided to not use these because this type, they are super delicious all by themselves with a little salt. YUMMMMMMY
| roma tomatoes |
| grape tomatoes |
First you wash your tomatoes and peppers, then you cut them up. I take the seeds out of the jalapenos. This is how I cut them up:
Then you throw in a little oil in your pan and cook the onions until they are translucent
As your onions are cooking, throw the tomatoes and jalapenos in the blender.
You might need to add a little bit of water, like 1/4 cup, depending on how thick your salsa is. Sometimes I add half to a whole small can of tomato sauce ( I think it's 4 ounces) to it. You just have to use your judgement. There are no wrong choices here!
.....and blend them like this:
| The color of the salsa before it is cooked is almost an orange tint to it, not red. It turns a deeper color of red after it's cooked. |
add some salt and pepper to taste.
Pour the contents of the blender container into the pan in medium heat with your onions and stir.
Cook for about 15 minutes. Your salsa will begin to bubble and change colors. The colors turns to a deeper red, richer color. When the color changes and it begins to gently bubble, stir some more using the same amount of heat, for another 5 minutes and..........
........... your salsa is done!
7 comments:
Yes!!! I've been waiting for this one. Thanks!
yummy, i didnt realize it was that easy!! I need to make some soon. This makes me want to go to the farmers market now - you keep talking about all the fresh veggies you got there- like the green beans too. yummm
The veggies do look so good and fresh! Their color is so rich! Your salsa looks delicious!
Tencha :)
I like all the pics. We need a family cookbook :)
Wow those look yummy. I want some please =)
I know I love the pictures too. I take them outside on my white "vintage" patio table that Adrian gave me. I love the natural light.
So you all tell me how the salsa turns out when you make it. : )
Do you really want some Chris? I'll bring some to Jenny's for you.
Post a Comment