Sunday, June 26, 2011

mexico wins! - gold cup


                   U.S. vs. Mexico Soccer



Yesterday evening I wanted to get out of the house for a bit. Perhaps go to a movie. Perhaps go out to eat. something. somewhere. but indoors with air conditioner.

Mr. Pain didn't want to go anywhere because he wanted to watch a soccer game. It was US versus Mexico. None of the US channels were showing, so Mr. Pain watched it on a Mexican channel....in Spanish. hahaha. Mr. Pain does not speak Spanish. I smile as I type this because I think it's cute that Mr. Pain was so into t his soccer game that he watched it in a different language. cute.

So I decided to put a pizza in the oven for dinner, and some noodle soup, that Ramen type. simple meal. I love those. I had half a pizza in the fridge, one of those humongous pizzas from Sam's  that the whole thing is just too much for just me and Mr. Pain. We had the other half during the week. Those Sam's fresh pizzas are really good, and fresh. yummy.

So as we were settling in the living room to watch soccer, with our dinner, on the tv trays, Mr. Pain was saying that the commentators on the US sports channel were saying that although the soccer game was in California - the USA - that 80% of the spectators were Mexican, whether they were for the Mexican team or the US team. interesting fact.

Mr. Pain was also saying that the US was going to beat Mexico. I told him "No, Mexico is going to win. I want Mexico to win.....for my mom".  yay, I was right!

Anyway, this soccer game reminded me of my mom. She loved to watch soccer on tv. She absolutely adored it. I remember how excited she would get when a game was coming on and then how excited she got during the game. She loved Pele. He was a big soccer star back then. Seems like lots of times my momma would get on her exercise bike in her bedroom and pedal away while watching her games. happy memory for me.

I've always thought it amusing that my mom was the huge sports fan and my dad loved to watch the "novelas" (that means soap operas). haha. I still find it amusing.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You love Ramen noodles too? So do I! My husband is a great cook, but sometimes I crave my ramen noodles. He makes sure we always have some at home for me...he's sweet like that! Yeah, I remember my aunt loving sports so much. I guess that's a big reason why you & your sisters played sports while growing up. :)

Tencha

Christopher said...

I was watching that game too. I was watching it English though. It was a very good for the most part. The third goal by Mexico, the deciding goal, was just amazing (doesn't matter if you like soccer or not, you can appreciate the goal). I heard that they did the trophy ceremony in Spanish. The only English was when they were giving the 2nd place medals to the American team.

me said...

on the Fox soccer channel Chris? Ya, Dennis watched the ceremony too, I think.

Tencha - I remember your mom didn't understand why my sisters and I loved playing sports so much when we were kids. I remember I felt her disapproval, her disagreement. Still, I felt it was important for us, and I although I hated to displease her,your mom, I continued and insisted on it, and I found the money to pay for it somehow....and now I understand.

Anonymous said...

You're right, my mom was extremely old fashioned and closed minded about girls participating in sports...she meant well, but it's how my grandfather raised his daughters. Yet I remember my grandmother playing basketball with us in her yard whenever grandfather wasn't looking. I knew I couldn't play sports with you and my other cousins, but I sure did love going to the park to watch you all play.