Wednesday, January 12, 2011

hamburger soup

                  

                              What do you get if you cook these together?




I just cooked the best dinner! I'm so excited because I just put things together that I had in the fridge, and WHALAA. Yummy !

I've been so cold all day long. My hands are always the worst. They stay frozen, no matter what I do, and they hurt too because they are so dry. Anyway, for dinner I was craving some kind of stew, chili, or soup. I already made home made chicken soup a few days ago, beef stew the other night, so I was wondering what to make. I had hamburger out, and I wanted soup more than chili. hmmmm, let's see, the ingredients I had in the fridge were beautiful scallions, about 6 fresh huge mushrooms, gorgeous crunchy green beans, and fresh garlic, and one jalapeno. I also had some frozen roasted and peeled hatch peppers, about 6 of them. All my ingredients from Central Market. I love that grocery store.

As I mentioned, I had the hamburger out. I only use the super lean hamburger. 90% or better.

Mr. Pain was working late, I wasn't hungry yet, so it was a late dinner tonight. It was already 7 pm, and he had not called me yet. He always calls me when he's on his way home from work. silly guy.

I decided not to call Mr. Pain to ask him what he wanted for dinner. I usually call him if I don't hear from him first. We talk on the phone about twice a day, during the work week that is. Anyway, like I said, I hadn't heard from him - his end of day call, that is - so I decided what's for dinner myself. I decided to please me first. I knew he would like whatever I fixed anyway. He would have to complain a little first though if it wasn't something he requested. hahaha. He's such a baby!

I began cooking the hamburger in my tall fat pot adding the chopped garlic (2 cloves) and scallions (2), both the white and green parts. While that cooked, I prepared my fresh green beans. I love the way they snap when they are fresh. I peeled and sliced my fresh mushrooms, sliced my jalapeno into thin slices, and I peeled and diced my potatoes, 6 pretty big ones. I cut them up into little squares. I added the one jalapeno because we like spicy food and the hatch peppers were not the hot ones, so I decided on the jalapeno for that extra "kick".

After the hamburger was just about cooked, I added the potatoes and cooked that together with the  meat for about 5 minutes, then I added the mushrooms, green beans, diced hatch peppers, sliced jalapeno pepper, 2 Knorr beef boullion cubes, salt and pepper, and about 3 cups of water. I never measure anything. : )

That's it. I had all my ingredients in the pot on high, brought it all to a boil as I stirred and stirred. I wanted the Knorr cubes to dissolve. Then I turned the heat down to simmer, put the lid on for 30 munutes and there you have it. The most delicious, healthy, low fat hamburger soup I've ever had. Yum.

As I predicted, Mr. Pain complained. He called me shortly after I began to cook and asked me what was for dinner. I told him and this is what he said in a bratty tone: "Hamburger soup? What is THAT?"
hahaha, I replied, "It's hamburger soup. I just made it up. You're going to like it, and don't expect it to be ready til 8." then he said "8???, let's just have breakfast!" hahaha, I'm cracking up laughing as I am typing this because he is such a baby, a big spoilt baby. hahaha

Needless to say....Mr. Pain absolutely loved it ! I told him, " You just need to trust me, I knew you would love it."

Well, here's a picture of my most delicious hamburger/hatch pepper/potato/mushroom/green bean soup. Let me know if any of you try it !

5 comments:

Lisa said...

you would cook this when I leave. =(

Jenny said...

why u not invite me over?

tammy said...

Thanks for the invite :(

me said...

had some soup today, leftovers, YUM

Jenny said...

I'm making some tonight I think. yumyum