I love Winnie the Pooh. I think I mentioned that before in a previous post. I love the characters, Pooh Bear, Christopher Robin, Owl, Tigger, Kanga, Roo, Eeyore, Rabbit, and my favorite, Piglet.
My favorite children's book to read to my girls when they were small, and we watched the movie/videos too.
Anyway, the simple little quotes of Winnie the Pooh make a whole lot of sense to me. I've always been attracted to quotes and sayings anyway, metaphors. I mean they hang around because they make sense. People use them because they are more clear, more than 'clear' words are. They are full of meaning. They paint a perfect picture, with just one word, just one sentence, just one thought in the form of words.
I bet people from all over the world have their own quotes, sayings, analogies. I remember when I lived in Australia, my Australian or British friends would blurt out their metaphors, in conversation. I would always ask them to repeat them because I loved to hear them. I tried to remember them. Actually, I think I wrote some down at one point. I know I will come across that paper that I once wrote them in.
I also have a friend, a friend I haven't been in touch for a while, still a friend who is Puerto Rican. She always came up with the cutest, silliest, catchy phrases. She always used to intertwine these phrases or words in her conversations. I loved them. I wish I could remember some of them now.
So here are some of my favorite quotes from Winnie the Pooh:
--------
Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
Winnie the Pooh
Pooh's Little Instruction Book
---------
Some people care too much, I think it's called love.
Winnie the Pooh
Winnie the Pooh, Disney Pictures
---------
Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known.
Winnie the Pooh
Pooh's Little Instruction Book
------
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
Winnie the Pooh
The House at Pooh Corner
------
You can't stay in your corner of the forest, waiting for others to come to you; you have to go to them sometimes.
Winnie the Pooh
Piglet, Pooh's Little Instruction Book
------
Always watch where you are going. Otherwise, you may step on a piece of the Forest that was left out by mistake.
Winnie the Pooh
Pooh's Little Instruction Book
------
And by and by Christopher Robin came to an end of things, and he was silent, and he sat there, looking out over the world, just wishing it wouldn't stop.
Winnie the Pooh
The House at Pooh Corner
------
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?
Winnie the Pooh
Winnie the Pooh, Disney Pictures
------
Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering.
Winnie the Pooh
Piglet, Pooh's Little Instruction Book
------
"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."
Winnie the Pooh
Winnie the Pooh
------
If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.
Winnie the Pooh
Eeyore, Pooh's Little Instruction Book
------
It is hard to be brave, when you're only a Very Small Animal.
Winnie the Pooh
Piglet, Winnie the Pooh
------
Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is to go where they can find you.
Winnie the Pooh
Pooh's Little Instruction Book
------
If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.
Winnie the Pooh
Winnie the Pooh, Disney Pictures
------
....and I like these simple words to describe things: "blustery day" for windy day, and when he always said "oh bother" when he meant it as a sigh, and when he had these little words thrown into whatever he was saying "on account of me"....

No comments:
Post a Comment