Thursday, March 1, 2012

conversations in a waiting room


My firstborn, my Jenny, with child, our first baby boy.

I went to the specialist with Jenny yesterday, Wednesday. All is good. thank goodness. not about our baby boy. He's always been fine and healthy. something else. keeping tabs on things. come back in 6 months. call if any changes or concerns.

So as I was waiting in the waiting room, I made some 'friends'. Yep, as usual I found myself yakity yakking with strangers and talking about some pretty personal stuff - on their part - I don't usually open up too much. Everywhere I go, I find myself striking up some lengthy conversations with strangers. No, I do not initiate conversations. It's actually the other person that begins the socializing. really.

This waiting room, 3 women older than myself, (2 ladies about 20 years older than me and lady number 3 about 5 years older than me) and me, talkity talkity talk. Lady number 1 - we talked about her Vera Bradley purse and matching wallet and also matching coin purse that she pulled out to show me. Wow. Me like. Me wanna put that purse on my wish list.

Lady number 2: our talk was about her 3 kids and how she stayed home with them when they were little for most of the time but she also worked as a Home Economics teacher, but only if she found good childcare. She talked about moving a lot because of her husband's career, and how hard it was to adjust. She mentioned that her mother didn't help her with her babies much because she was the receptionist of the family business and couldn't help her. Then she told me of the one time she hired a live in nanny to help her with newborn number 2, but that lady didn't work out because she slept while baby was up during the night, so mama had to get up with the baby as the nanny slept. Then she told me that her only brother inherited the family business (the one that her mom worked as a receptionist). Then as a woman was called in to see the doctor next, she pointed out to me that she was her sister, and that she was always close to this sister but not the oldest sister - and blah blah blah.

My favorite 'new friend' was lady number 3; the last one to come in while I sat there waiting for my Jenny as I fake read magazines, but what I was really doing was tearing off pages of good recipes, decorating ideas, etc.  I know, I'm bad. Now this lady was more like me. Although she was a working mom, still she was more like me, the kind of mom I was and still am. She did things like me. only one baby for her. a girl. dad helped a lot. dad very connected with baby as well. still connected and involved. She breastfed although she worked. Baby daddy would bring baby girl to her in the middle of the night and she would whip out the boob and feed baby as she half slept. That's what me and Mr. Pain did! She said she loved her husband even more now, but she fell in love with him a little bit more each time she observed him being a father to their only child. THAT'S HOW I FEEL! and she just retired in January, and she absolutely loves it and she got cancer and is recovering now and her daughter, her only child, came back home after college because her mom was sick. and her daughter now is 24 and is not dating and how much she loved her daughter and her husband.  ***sigh*** then Jenny came out and all was ok and I introduced Jenny to friend number 3 and they talked about their jobs a little bit because same major, same university, same field of work. in the waiting room. and then we said goodbye to her, but I felt like I wanted to become her real friend and I felt like we connected, and I wanted to get her number, but I didn't and I felt like she felt the same way.  again... ***sigh***


Jenny and baby boy :)













1 comment:

Tammy said...

awww i love these pics of the baby mama