Tuesday, March 22, 2011

fresh fruit salad



 I've made fruit salad 3 times in the past few weeks. I forgot to take pictures of the first 2 batches I made - darn it - they looked so pretty too. The third time I made it, I DID take pictures and thought I 'd show you how easy it is to make the freshest fruit salad.

I used:


    strawberries

           


  bananas





              pineapple 
             
            lemon




            sugar




First you take the skin off the pineapple and take the middle core out and then cut it up in pieces like this, and put it in a large bowl:




 Then wash your strawberries and take the green off, and cut it in pieces like this:

Some of these strawberries I hadn't cut up yet.




I like to add sugar to the strawberries - not too much - just sprinkle a bit on top. Toss the strawberries in the sugar a bit then add them to your bowl.




Squeeze your one lemon or lime in a bowl (remove the seeds)  like this:

The lemon or lime juice is so that your bananas don't turn brown.

 Cut your bananas up and add a few pieces into your squeezed lemon or lime juice and toss it around a  bit. Remove that batch of bananas and add another little bit until you coat all your banana pieces. Add your lemon or lime coated bananas to the bowl. Add the leftover lemon or lime juice in there too.


bananas getting a lemon bath


Now toss all your fruits around in your large bowl, like this:


and you are done!


I like to use clear bowls for fruit salad because it looks so pretty. I began using this bowl, but it was too small to toss the salad in, so I put the fruit in a bigger round bowl to toss around then I brought it back to the clear bowl - and I forgot to take a picture of the finished fruit salad in the clear bowl ! goodness!

This picture is one when I first tried to use this clear container. It shows the layers of the fruit as I was preparing each one:



I don't have amounts here because this type of salad, you just add how much you want of whatever fruit you want or have. I thought a third color would look pretty, besides the red and yellow, so I thought I should have added kiwi for green, but I completely forgot to add it. I will next time. I bet you could add grapes, not cantaloupe, maybe you could add mandarins or even oranges, apple, even some nuts like pecans or walnuts would be good.... whatever you desire. These are the fruits I had, so these are the ones I added this time.

Serve the fruit salad in cute small clear bowls and top it with a dollop of whipped cream. (I forgot to take pictures of that too!)




 

5 comments:

tammy said...

Hey! Where did you find fresh strawberries?? I didnt think they were in season. I cant find fresh ones any where :(

Shelley said...

What kind of camera do you have? I am liking the color resolution.

Jenny said...

I like your pictures better than the ones from the internet. I esp. like the banana one.

Lisa said...

YUM I want some more of it already!!!

me said...

Yes, I know I'm happy with the pictures too. My camera is a simple little thing. not fancy. It's a Nikon Coolpix S51. Mr. Pain says this camera has got a really good lense. He bought it for me.